5 Things You Didn't Know About the adidas Superstar 2
1. The adidas Superstar 2 men’s adidas soccer shoe first came to market in 1969.
2. Made in both high- and low-top versions, the Superstar originally was created as a basketball shoe in the 1960s, and was a court shoe of choice for most NBA players. As people began wearing Superstars off the court, it became apparent it was more than just a functional basketball shoe – it could go anywhere. The low-top model was released in late 1969 and quickly became a best seller.
3. Over the years, the iconic Three Stripes and protective “shell toe” have remained the same and are considered irreplaceable signifiers of Superstar style.
4. High-profile folks such as Run D.M.C., NBA Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, performer Missy Elliott, and Limp Bizkit frontman Fred Durst have all worn the Superstar 2.
5. The hip-hop trio Run D.M.C released a song paying homage to the Superstar in a song called "My Adidas" in 1986. The song was a response to the anti-sneaker sentiment in pop culture in the 1980s, and it immortalized the Superstar as well as set the stage for the “Sneakerhead culture” that followed.