Zoom Kobe VI: Black Mamba influences performance basketball shoe
The sixth generation of Kobe Bryant basketball shoes from Nike, the Zoom Kobe VI, borrowed from its predecessors the Kobe IV and the Kobe V by featuring a low-top design. A custom fitting sockliner was added per the request of Bryant himself as an update from the previous model.
Styling is what set the Zoom Kobe VI apart from past models. Recalling Bryant’s nickname, a “Black Mamba”-inspired upper used a snakeskin-like texture and was offered in a wide variety of colorways.
Low profile, lightweight cushioning boost performance
Nike placed its signature Zoom units in the heel and forefoot of the Zoom Kobe VI for low-profile, lightweight, responsive cushioning to go along with the low-top design. Lightweight Injected Phylon (IP) was placed into the midsole to provide additional ultra-lightweight cushioning and comfort. The IP was extremely sculpted, allowing the entire shoe to provide wearers a more anatomically correct fit. This lightweight IP midsole was nearly 1 ounce lighter than the traditional Phylon midsoles, giving the Zoom Kobe VI the performance edge Bryant requested from Nike designers.
Flywire tech adds strength to lightweight performance
Flywire technology was first introduced into basketball with the Hyperdunk in 2008. Coincidentally, Kobe Bryant endorsed that shoe as well on his way to winning Olympic gold with Team USA in the 2008 Bejing Games. The Zoom Kobe VI had updated patterns of the ultra-strong Vectran threads that reduce weight while enduring extreme cutting and acceleration.
Other features included the following:
• Men’s sizes 6.5-13, 14, 15
• Weight: 11 ounces (men’s size 9)
• Widths: D-medium
• Colorways released as follows:
- Black/Dark Grey/White/Del Sol (December 2010)
- Volt/Black/Green Apple/Crimson (December 2010)
- White/Neutral Grey/Concord/Black (January 2011)
- Black/Varsity Red/White (February 2011)
- Varsity Royal/Black/White (March 2011)
- White/Black/Del Sol/Neutral Grey (April 2011)
- Black/Metallic Silver/Concord/White (May 2011)
- White/Varsity Purple/Photo Blue/Black (May 2011)
- Photo Blue/White/Black/Volt (July 2011)
- Silver/White (July 2011)
- Black/Dark Grey/White (August 2011)
• Comfort liner combined with a foam and mesh composite tongue to provide ventilation and comfort
• Tighter heel construction for a better fit in the heel while a thin layer of cushioning in the collar and an Achilles notch enhanced comfort
• Injected thermoplastic polyurethan (TPU) external heel counter, molded closer to the foot for a lockdown fit and additional stability
• Dual-density sockliner of EVA and memory foam conformed to the foot for a custom fit
• Exposed modified glass shank plate for midfoot support and torsional rigidity during quick cuts and jumps
• A strategically placed outrigger, for lateral stability for quick cuts, wraps up onto the upper to help prevent delamination