Trainers Turned Classics
adidas was at the peak of their game in the 1980s, when the Continental first debuted to the world. Although the silhouette was overshadowed by other more innovative Three Stripes shoes at the time, the recent reemergence of the classic sneaker has brought back plenty of memories for old school fans. The adidas Continental was designed to be a premium trainer for the tennis court. Taking cues from other Three Stripes legends like the Stan Smith, the Continental used plush tumbled leather for the upper, combined with a two-piece cupsole to make it more flexible and versatile than any of its predecessors. Similar to other adidas exercise shoes from the ’80s, the Continental silhouette was inspired by some aspects of Reebok’s workout line. This may have helped the shoe achieve some popularity as an all-around useful sneaker, though the Continental’s signature two stripes running across either side were a sleek and trendy look many adidas fans fell in love with.
A Return to Glory
The adidas Continental made its first reappearance in the brand’s arsenal in 2018, under the new Continental ’80s name. The “Retro” style release added the classic silhouette to the new Yung franchise, a series of old school adidas silhouettes from the ’80s and ’90s that have been revamped for a more modern look and feel. While the other pairs in this family, the Yung-1 and Falcon, were the breakout stars of the old-school line, the Continental ’80s has established itself as the sleeper hit of the pack. While this may have something to do with the strikingly similar adidas Powerphase retro from 2017, the Continental’s premium construction and minimal racing striped look have made it a steadfast piece in many sneakerheads’ summer wardrobes.
adidas Originals Continental 80 features:
• Smooth premium leather upper provides a clean look and snug fit.
• Soft French terry inner lining makes for a comfortable ride and ’80s aesthetic.
• Logo window on the medial lace closures sport a slick adidas Trefoil badge for a retro look.
• Perforated toe cap and quarter panels allows for breathability and better comfort.
• The split rubber cupsole provides a stiffer, more locked-in fit and improves flexibility.
• Lightweight EVA insert in the sole keeps the Continental feeling fresh by providing durable support.